You don’t have to wait until New Year’s Day to make a resolution, so let fall mark the start of a leadership reboot — turn over a new leaf, if you will. Think about the type of leader you want to be: What is leadership to you? What makes a great
leader? To help you decide, we first take a look at several opinions of what leadership is.
Popular definitions of leadership:
• Forbes defines leadership as, “… a process of social influence, which maximizes the efforts of others, towards the achievement of a goal.”
• The Yale Leadership Development program recognizes leadership as, “a skill you will work on and develop throughout your life. There is no effortless path to excellence and accomplishment in this domain.”
• While the dictionary definition of leadership is, “a position as a leader of a group, organization, etc.”
A CEOs take on what makes a truly great leader:
• For Jeff Weiner, CEO at LinkedIn, great leaders, "Take a minute to celebrate success or reflect on failure, but then move on."
• Phil Libin, CEO at Evernote, has a very clear focus: “making sure everyone understands the impact their work has on the company and, by extension, the world.”
• Says Alex Wilcox, CEO of Jetsuite, of Zappos CEO, Tony Hseih, “… he never raises his voice. He lets us know about the issue and lets us solve it, and is always very receptive to what we have done to solve it. In that way, he has taught me a lot about how to be effective without getting upset, without raising your voice.”
How to get started:
At Disney, we recognize a leader as anyone who influences change. We believe that great leaders:
• Proactively establish values
• Pursue the changes required by their vision
• Staunchly defend against potential threats to the values.
As you kickoff your leadership reboot, write down the answers to these three questions:
1. What are my leadership values? My absolute, non-negotiables.
2. What is my leadership vision? The direction I see for myself, my team, and/or my organization?
3. What will I do to influence change? What actionable steps can I begin taking to turn my vision into a reality?Why wait? Get started now by sharing your thoughts in the comments below. What does great leadership mean to you? What are you values? Your vision?Image: Flickr User nomm de photo