Home

Hello, my name is....

January 12, 2012 by Stacey DiNuzzo, Public Relations Manager, Disney Institute

Within Disney theme parks and resorts, name tags are an essential part of the costume. But what makes them so important? They make our frontline cast members more approachable, but more importantly, our name tags give you, the guest, a little bit of personal information so that you can relate to us and maybe feel more comfortable striking up a conversation.

Can you name the personal information that we share on our nametags? What does it mean to you, as a Disney guest, to have this information? Post comments below.

Posted in Selection, Training, Engagement | Tagged People Management, Quality Service | 7 Comments

7 Responses to Hello, my name is....

• Vicki says:

on January 12, 2012

City and state! My husband and I love meeting/finding people from where we live. We look at every name tag of every cast member we encounter just in case! It came in handy during the year of a million dreams because we talked to someone who grew up ten minutes away from where we live and he took us to the front of the line on Haunted Mansion!

• Stephen says:

on January 12, 2012

The info on the nametags are the Cast Member's first name and their hometown or college. As a former CM and as a guest, I like the fact that you can see where a CM is from you can relate even more with the CM than otherwise would be possible.

• Al says:

on January 12, 2012

You have the cast member's name and their hometown on the badge. I can't recall seeing the position being on the name tag. That in and of itself makes a statement. I love seeing the name out front and really the conversation the home town allows for between cast member and guest. On one visit we began talking to a girl about her hometown, but quickly learned she was going to Denison University in the town we had lived in. She even sent us a post card. Again, while living in Ohio, we also met a cast member on a trip to Epcot. We chatted and she told why she was standing behind a rope. It was a great spot to see the fireworks, but was for VIP's and special guests. She then made us feel special. She invited us to check back and, if there was room, we could sit in this spot (next to the pub). Very cool. The topic is timely. My assistant is designing new name tags for our team now. I will be sharing best practices from Disney with her. Can you share more expert advice?

• William says:

on January 12, 2012

I think the personal information is the city and state the cast member is originally from or what school they are currently attending. I always enjoy seeing that information and it can form the 1st step in dialogue.

• Fred says:

on January 12, 2012

The name tag refers to the name and what state or country they came from.

• Brian says:

on January 14, 2012

There are three great things I love about the name tags. First, as you approach a cast member you can greet them by name. Second, you can see if they lived near you. For example, last week I was in Walt DIsney World and the cast member doing the pre-show load for Tower of Terror was from Indianapolis, and we struck-up a conversation about seasons and weather. The third is the thing that i love the most. When we received exceptional guest service, I always write down the cast member's name and town/college. At the end of a trip or a cruise, I send a letter to Guest Services and recognize those cast members that made our trip special. I don't have to ask the cast member their name or any other identifying info; it is right there on the name tag. Last week, we had a fantastic cast member as our server at Via Napoli, and he told us he was just a few days from completing his stay at Walt DIsney World on the International program. So instead of just writing his name down, we stopped at Guest Services on our way out of Epcot and completed an Applause form so that we knew he would get it before he left for home. One more thing. Last week I took the Wild Africa Trek and they give you a name badge for the tour, but also say to feel free to wear it around the park (my wife said I looked a bit dorky, but oh well.) I was surprised at how many cast members specifically greeted me by name. I am sure it was nice for them to have a name with the face like we do as guests.

• benson says:

on February 02, 2012

Something nobody seems to also consider is that Disney nametags are also a tangible record of the happenings and evolution of the Company and its many divisions. They tell the story of what was happening in the Parks and Resorts throughout the past 55 years. They are silent witnesses to the many facets of Disney magic that's been created by so many people.